Friday, October 1, 2010

Episode 12: Let's Get Physical

Episode 12 of the Theopologetics Podcast is now available! In this episode I interview Glenn Peoples, creator of the Say Hello to My Little Friend blog and podcast, discussing Christian physicalism, the view that man is not comprised of both a physical body and an immaterial soul, but of body only.

In this first of two interviews on the subject, we talk about physicalism in history, the modern evangelical response to physicalism, the biblical basis for physicalism and the metaphysical objection to it. In a future episode I’ll interview Glenn a second time, devoting the entire episode to biblical objections to his position, so email me at theopologetics@hotmail.com if you would like me to include your challenge to physicalism in the second interview.

3 comments:

  1. Question: If we are not spirit within a physical body, does the Holy Spirit then not dwell within us?

    Like Chris I do not agree with this stance, but I must admit it is new to me, and I don't claim to understand it, but this is a red flag type question for me and I would like to hear (or see I guess, as this is a reading forum)your understanding based on the Scripture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think physicalism has any conflict with the saving, indwelling of the Holy Spirit. From Glenn's point of view, just because humans aren't like machines with ghosts inside them, pulling the levers and pressing the pedals, doesn't mean that the Spirit of God can't unite Himself with our bodies in the indwelling sense. But I'll ask him what he thinks.

    ReplyDelete