Friday, September 10, 2010

Episode 7: Truth Be Told

Episode 7, "Truth Be Told," has been released! In this episode of the Theopologetics Podcast I discuss Sola Scriptura, the doctrine that the Bible contains all knowledge necessary for salvation and holiness, and that it is the ultimate authority and rule of faith for the believer. I look at what serves instead as the authority for Catholics, Jehovah’s Witnesses and Mormons, as well as the view of some Christians, such as the Churches of Christ, who take Sola Scriptura to an unjustified extreme.

3 comments:

  1. One point of correction: I think I said in this episode that Catholics are taught to pray to dead saints, but that's not entirely accurate. Catholics are taught to communicate with dead saints, asking them to intercede on their behalf. In the same way one might ask one's pastor to pray for them. I apologize for that mischaracterization.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And what a great class of people to intercede on your behalf: "dead" (as you refer to them) saints.

    I do believe many evangelicals regularly ask others to "pray on my behalf". So I don't think there is an issue with intercessory prayer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll have to do an episode on that at some point. I'll concede that when Roman Catholics ask dead saints to pray for them, they are not offering up prayers to them in the sense in which only God should be prayed to. However, the question is whether or not this is a biblical practice, whether or not the dead can, in fact, hear and respond to our requests.

    If you wish to share them, I'd be interested to see what evidence from Scripture you can offer up.

    ReplyDelete