Saturday, January 9, 2010

A Request for Prayer: Jehovah's Witnesses at the Door

I was re-reading an earlier post in my blog this morning when I heard a knock at my door. Two guesses: no, not LDS missionaries, a pair of Jehovah's Witnesses dropping off the latest copies of The Watchtower and Awake! magazines. I accepted them (and hope to find some apologetics usefulness therein), but asked if they were only interested in dropping off their material, or if they might additionally be interested in discussing our respective beliefs at some point in the future. They reluctantly agreed, saying they would come back next Saturday morning.

Now, I personally don't think it's likely they'll return. However, it's possible, and in the upcoming week I'm going to be preparing myself and praying that God would use me to open their hearts, if it's His will, to the truth of the historic Christian faith. Those of you who've read through my past posts may be able to tell that the religions of the Mormons and the Jehovah's Witnesses are those I'm most equipped (at this time) to refute. Over the past couple of years in our new home I've been disappointed because they've always stopped by when I was not at home. Today, that has changed.

So with that, I humbly request your prayer for me and for them. Ultimately it is not I who will change their hearts, but God if it's His will to do so. However, the extent to which I am open to being led by God in this discussion--if it happens--rather than by trying to accomplish a change by my own strength, is the extent to which I will be an agent of God's will, whatever that may be. Those of you who know me know that while I have a fair amount of knowledge and logic at my disposal, I'm not always the easiest to communicate with personally. It is for this ability that I ask you to pray.

Please pray that I would be able to shed myself of any sense of arrogance or smugness; that I would share the truth of Scripture with love and with compassion, rather than a prideful desire to prove them wrong; that I would listen and be attentive to their words, patiently and humbly hearing what they have to say rather than merely waiting for my turn to speak. And please pray that, if it's God's will to change their hearts, He would speak through me and open their eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment